Sunday, January 31, 2010

Icy Odyssey: going into an igloo with UCO students:





I wanted to stay indoors during the winter storm the last few days, Thursday through Sunday, but I ended up having some icy adventures instead...

First, getting out to the UCO Library before the doors closed on Thursday at noon, to get some books I've been waiting for, then driving to OKC to help a friend pick up their guitar. It began to sleet heavily as I made my way to OKC. But after a rescue mission with an electric guitar from questionable circumstances, where it had to be left or carried through the rain, I made it back to Edmond through the sleet as it became more and more like the ice capades.

I stayed inside until Saturday, but then had to get my car ready for work, driving deliveries for Domino's pizza Saturday from 5pm until we were through. I managed to get the job done with an ice pick and a scraper. The ice was in layers. Underneath the first layer of ice, every thing was filled with sleet, then a layer of ice covered the sleet. Next a layer of snow about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, then a second layer of ice 1/4 to 1/2 inches thick and another three inches of snow on top of it all! It was amazing how the ice on the windshield was thicker than the windshield!

As I made deliveries, everything was going okay, until I stepped into a puddle of icy slush-water that turned out to be a pot hole which sank a few inches deep, completely covering my shoes, so my feet were wet the rest of the night! (I knew I should have worn my platforms!) Twice, there were cars with huge sheets of thick ice that flew from the roof of their SUV's, twirling in mid air and narrowly missing my car, shattering onto the road next to me. Luckily, I didn't get struck or stuck on the way. One SUV was almost at the top of a hill to exit a shopping center. I could see his chrome wheels spinning, but I couldn't tell if his car actually had spinners or if he was just having trouble reaching the top of the hill!

Sunday night, working again, the roads were still slick and difficult to drive or walk on. I was somewhat amazed and disappointed that I didn't see more snowmen out on my deliveries, and one abandoned attempt to build an igloo. Feeling a little disappointed that the project was abandoned, I wondered if there were any others who made an effort to build an igloo in the snow. Then I got a delivery for a house near the UCO campus. Some students had actually built an igloo and called in an order for someone to deliver their pizza to the igloo in their backyard! Since it was my turn, I took it, wondering what I would find. When I got there I saw an impressively large igloo! They wanted me to come inside and see their igloo, which I was happy to do! There were six people inside, and three lanterns. It was also a warm relief from being in the cold, even if we had to crawl in on all fours. However the inside was spacious and had a dome roof, so there was plenty of room to move around, which reminded me of a Japanese tea house. They wanted to take pictures of us all with their pizza and to share the moment with their delivery driver. Here is a couple of pictures they took with my phone. The other five students were each sitting around in a circle across from us, taking the pictures. It's an odyssey I'm glad I didn't miss, discovering a new way to chill with neighbors... and, except for seeing the photo of myself in my uniform, I almost forgot to get back to work!





No comments:

Post a Comment