Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Total Eclipse of the Moon



The first and only time I have seen a total lunar eclipse before today was a few years ago from a beach house balcony at Balboa Island in Newport Beach, California. Last night I saw the total eclipse of the moon for the second time just above my front door! I only had to step outside to be under its shadow. The phases of the eclipse last for around five hours. The first time I saw one, I was sick with the flu, so I didn't stay outside long enough to watch it completely.

This time, I spent time watching the various phases as diagrammed in the photo above. One thing I noticed this time was that during the phase when it is leaving the umbra back to penumbra, there was a large area of blue light reflecting back up onto the moon, while the moon was still mostly red. The appearance was as if the moon and a reflection of the earth were in an embrace. The reflected blue light is due to the atmospheric changes, but it was a dramatic effect! The colors were so vivid and seemed to dance, even to the naked eye. At first, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me for being up all night, but my daughter also confirmed that it was definitely a blue reflection which looked like two orbs instead of only one.


I am always reminded of a bride in her wedding gown when I see the full moon, and seeing the moon going red was as if it were going through a bloody battle, emerging as a triumphant warrior-bride, crossing over the dark phase to get to her bridegroom. When I read the story about Adam and Eve, that Eve was taken out of Adam's rib, or side, I am also reminded of the theory that the moon was formed out of the earth and broke off from it when the earth was struck by a huge planetesimal, at least that is the theory accepted by most astronomers for the origin of our moon, although the metaphors are from stories I've heard of various origins.




No comments:

Post a Comment